We are so excited to announce our next project! We will be kicking off a home office renovation in the upcoming week and have been working on the design and layout for a little while.
The home office is on the main level of our home, The Arched Manor, and is mainly used by John (Megan’s office/desk is upstairs). With that being said, we decided we wanted to use this opportunity to add some more color to the first floor and design a masculine home office. As of right now most of our walls are all white except for our dining room.
The biggest change in the room (besides the color) will be the addition of built-in cabinets to the back wall. We are so excited to finally have some storage in the room for all the papers, supplies and the printer.
New Office Built In Cabinets
To build the new home office built-in cabinets, we plan on ordering pre-made cabinets for the bottoms and then constructing the upper shelves ourselves.
The bottom cabinets will be a mix of drawers which are perfect for all the mail, papers and folders we currently have lying around, and the doors in the middle will be the perfect spot to hide our printer, which will sit on pull-out shelves. All the doors and drawers will have timeless brass hardware to match the lighting we plan to include in the space.
We are constructing two built-in shelving units above the cabinets on the sides and leaving an open space in the middle for a piece of art. The middle would also be perfect for a cork board or calendar depending on what is best for you and your space.
Home Office Paint Color
We are excited to add some more color to our main level and felt like our home office renovation was the perfect opportunity to do it. In keeping with the masculine theme we are opting to go moody and paint the walls, windows and office built-ins all the same color. We have put several samples on our walls but ultimately we have decided to move forward with the color “Roycroft Bronze Green” by Sherwin Williams. Some other colors we considered were Iron Ore (SW), Urbane Bronze (SW), Rock Bottom (SW), Black Fox (SW) and Greenblack (SW).
Home Office Furniture
Since all of the current furniture we are using in the office was from our previous home, nothing is to scale or go together like we would hope, so we plan on purchasing some new furniture. Based on our mood board shown, here are some of the new items we have already purchased or are considering:
- Desk – the desk we have already purchased is from Restoration Hardware and is their French Contemporary Desk. We love the dark brown oak color and brass hardware. Also, it is the perfect length and width for the size of our office.
- Desk Chair – we are currently considering the Tyler Desk Chair from our store. We like that the black leather does not compete with the other leather chairs in the space and that the wood on the arms matches the desk fairly well.
- Leather Chairs – We wanted a place for other people to sit in the office and we thought a pair of these leather chairs from Arhaus would be perfect. Nothing is more masculine than leather and the welsh rum color adds a lot of warmth to the space.
- Side Table – we have narrowed it down to this gorgeous lavastone nesting table from our shop! I love the idea that a lamp can sit on the top table and then there is still room to set down drinks or other items as needed.
- Rug – we have already purchased this rug and absolutely love it. To keep with the masculine theme we knew we wanted to incorporate plaid somewhere and this rug does it perfectly. A super subtle plaid pattern with gorgeous complementary colors.
- Art – we currently own this art piece and it is definitely a show stopper. It is the perfect fit to be nestled between the office built-in shelves.
Home Office Lighting
We feel like brass light fixtures will compliment the paint color and furniture pieces we have chosen the most. There are several ways we plan on incorporating lighting into this home office renovation and that includes picture lights above the office built-ins, a chandelier, and a table lamp between the two leather chairs. Here are the office lighting fixtures we have chosen:
- Picture Light – this picture light is a favorite of ours – we also used it in our home bar renovation. Three of these on top of the built-in cabinets will look amazing!
- Chandelier – this chandelier is a timeless design with the classic ring shape. We also love the natural paper shades to soften the overall look.
- Table Lamp – we have a current obsession with alabaster and this lamp is making all those dreams come true!